IT infrastructure architect Avnet Enterprise Solutions recently opened a SAN Center in Torrance, Calif., where customers and partners can observe demonstrations of actual Storage Area Network (SAN) environments, enabling them to see how information technology equipment can work if it were installed in their places of business.
Customers get hands-on experience and can "drive" the storage infrastructure to become familiar with setting up SAN zones, LUNs and raid levels, and how to expand storage pools and volumes.
Since opening in May, representatives from more than 15 companies have visited the SAN Center, which continues to be a gathering place for customers who are interested in seeing the basic benefits of networked attached storage, centralized backup and restore infrastructure. Furthermore, customers can learn how to increase the amount of storage managed or administered by more than 15 times through the use of a centralized pool of virtual storage.
Hewlett-Packard recently named Avnet Enterprise Solutions its West Region Storage Business Partner of the Year. "We are proud to achieve this recognition," said Carol Kinney, vice president, Western Region Server & Storage Sales, Avnet Enterprise Solutions.
"In 2001, Avnet Enterprise Solutions' Western Region designed and implemented over 35 SANs for customers, totaling over 400TB of raw storage, and was the leading provider of HP's SAN Implementation Services, S.I.S., a service that leads a customer through the complete architecting, design, and implementation process."
"Avnet Enterprise Solutions investments in technical expertise enables it to provide customers with comprehensive services for SAN and StorageWorks environments with a wide range of innovative solutions that can be tailored to specific requirements," said Mark Gonzalez, vice president, Network Storage Solutions, Hewlett-Packard.
"The West Region Storage Business Partner of the Year award is an award that clearly demonstrates that Avnet Enterprise Solutions is delivering greater business value and customer satisfaction to enterprise and network storage customers in the market that they serve."
Here is a summary of the equipment and software that is currently on display:
- Compaq Enterprise Virtual Array, 2 HSV110 arrays controllers, 6 shelves
- 24 - 36GB disk drives, 2gb/sec, 10K rpm, (864GB total)
- 2 Compaq DL380 servers, 933MHz, 1GB memory, Win2000
- Alpha DS10 server (OVMS & Tru64 Unix)
- Compaq SAN Management Appliance
- Compaq MSL 5052, 3 drive SDLT tape library
- Compaq Network Storage Router - 2 SCSI ports
- Brocade 3800, 2gb 16 port fabric switch
- Compaq TaskSmart 2400 NAS appliance
- Compaq 2gb 8 port fabric switch
- Cisco 5420 & 5428 IP Storage router with iSCSI
- McData Director Core Switch
- HP SANworks Secure Path software
- HP SANworks Snapshot software
- HP SANworks Enterprise Volume Manager software
- HP SANworks Network View software
- HP SANworks Storage Resource Manager software
- VERITAS Netbackup software
- NSI Double Take Replication software
- Commvault Galaxy Backup Software
- HP Openview Suite
- Linux server connected to a DSL line for remote demonstration capabilities